Friday, November 6, 2009

Reflection on oral presentation

As the applause died away, I heaved a sigh of relief. My journey through this module is nearing its end and I have managed to cross this final hurdle, albeit with some hiccups along the way. Looking back at what our group has managed to accomplish so far, it seems frightening that one month’s worth of labour on the proposal will be reflected in a short 20 minutes oral presentation. We wanted our presentation to be impactful and yet simple, so that the audience will not have a hard time understanding what we are trying to achieve. For my part, I felt that I managed to accomplish some of what I set out to do, but there are certainly things that I wished could have been improved.
The Powerpoint Slides
I made my slides as interesting as possible by using pictures to grab attention. Most of my slides do not have words as I do not want the audience to be divided between reading what is on the screen and listening to what I have to say. In fact, my group members all followed this style in order to maintain uniformity. Furthermore, the effective use of proper imagery has subliminal effects on the audiences’ sub consciousness, helping me to bring my ideas across more effectively.

I made use of the different animations to bring more zest to the presentation while bearing in mind the fact that too many animations would tend to become overbearing. I am quite satisfied with my work on my slides. However, I do feel that my pie chart could have been improved by making use of a more professional looking pie chart. In fact, that was a recurrent problem among our slides. How could we make it as fun and interesting as possible yet maintaining a professional feel to it? That was a fine line that we had to tread and I think we tried our best to do that.
The Presentation
The actual presentation proved to be disastrous due to the technical errors which I failed to anticipate. Some of the videos could not be played because the format was not supported on the computer. I was unsettled by that and I started speaking too fast which is one of my greatest weakness. During the practice runs, I have been trying to slow down my talking speed but I fell into the same trap again. I managed to calm down only at the later part of the presentation and started speaking more slowly. My only saving grace was that I was able to give a generally fluent presentation. During the practice runs, I did not memorize my lines by heart but rather, concentrated more on presenting my ideas in an impromptu fashion. This paid off as it helped me to carry on speaking instead of being stuck when I forgot my script, which actually occurred a couple of times during the presentation. I also maintained good eye contact with the audience throughout but I did not notice if I was smiling. That would be one of my greatest weakness too, because I'm a rather dour person who can't maintain a fake smile to save my life. That is very disadvantageous for me because smiling is important in connecting with the audience.
One plus point for me is that I was quite familiar with my slides and was able to synchronize the transition of the slides with my speech without looking at the screen. Overall, I felt that our team had good time management as we all stuck to our maximum of 6 minutes of “air time” as rehearsed during our practice runs. However, I think that we could have done a better job during the question and answer segment by linking our answers with the research we had prepared for this segment. Furthermore, by hiding behind the desk seemed to suggest a certain degree of reluctance in engaging the audience which we certainly did not want. I realised that and moved out in order to interact more with the audience.

Overall, I feel that this has certainly been an important learning experience as it has given me greater confidence to present my ideas in front of a large audience. It has benefitted me a lot in terms of my development as a future teacher. I would like to thank my group members Kesleen and Zhi Peng who have been most cooperative and patient with my criticisms. The class has been a most wonderful and encouraging audience too. Lastly, kudos to Brad whose comments have played an instrumental role in shaping and refining our ideas.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you very much, Russell, for a detailed reflection. I really appreciate all your effort, here in this post and with the other aspects of the comprehensive project work, including the fine OP.

    More comments to follow soon----

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Russell,

    You are right about the "subliminal effects". It has been over week since you presented and I can still remember one of your slides: the one where one email gets sent out to 3 parties and these 3 parties each sends back a different email. This slide left a very vivid impression and illustrated the problem without words. Excellent use of imagery!

    Your presentation was great but I feel that it can be even better by introducing more variations in your tone and pace. I wrote some comments with regards to the technical iproblems that you faced during the presentation on Kesleen's blog, do take a look.

    Having read your proposal, I feel that the presentation further reinforces the ideas conveyed in the proposal, hence portraying a very convincing argument to the NUSEU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Russell,

    As previously commented on Zhi Peng's blogpost, your group's presentation slides were very nicely done up. There were so much visual aids and variations in the slides that managed to keep me relatively engaged despite the huge amount of information your group was trying convey to me. Although some unexpected technical errors occurred during the presentation, I must applaud your group's ability to handle the situation well by not appearing flustered as your group relied very heavily on visual aids.

    During the presentation, I noticed that you managed very good eye contact with the audience and you were very clear in your speech. However, as you have the tendency to speak fast and forget your smile, it was a little intimidating to look back at you in the eyes. Nonetheless, you did exude confidence in your presentation and your fluentness in your speech revealed your familiarity with the project. In addition, you did a great job by moving forward to bring yourself closer to the audience to connect with them.

    In general, I feel that the technical problems which arise during presentation are beyond our control. However, I think we should focus more on improving our presentation skills. Ultimately, what we want to achieve at the end of the day is to bring the audience's attention to us and not to the screen. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Xiu Ling and Ji Wei for your comments and criticisms!

    Yes, I also feel that I do not smile enough, however, when I’m talking, I get so engrossed that I forget about smiling. Any tips to make me smile?

    Ah well, I’m a control freak. I like to make sure that we have back-up plans and I hate unexpected surprises like these. Xiu Ling, you have brought up a very valid point. I’m wondering, if for example the slides are fantastic, would that be a hindrance in some cases? Especially when the screen becomes the centre of attraction instead of the speaker. Where should we draw the line so that the slides do not steal all the attention?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi russell

    Though the presentation slides did not turn out as what you have expected, i can say that your presentation has met my expectations just like in your peer teaching. As usual, you have presented yourself well with good voice projection together with the attractive slides. Most importantly, you have managed to stay calm and carried on with the presentation although there were some hiccups in the slides. That is what i have noticed in you when you were posted with difficult questions during the mock job interview.

    well, i guess a way to keep yourself smiling during presentations is to practise this in your everyday life. I feel that this is not an overnight thing as smiling if forced would be quite unnatural. I guess smiling comes from the personality and you can train yourself by keeping in mind to smile while talking to your friends. This is the same as developing a charming personality i feel.

    To address your question on where should we draw the line so that the slides do not steal our attention, i guess it would be when where you want to put your focus to. For instance, if you want the audience to listen to the 1st part of your presentation, you should try to keep your slides as simple as possible so that they can be less distracted. However, if you want to better depict your idea in the slides for your 2nd part of the presentation, then you should decorate your slides. I believe you would be able to shift the audience attention in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Russell!!

    I must admit that until today, i still have the image(with emails being sent out) stuck in my head! This really proves how effective your visual aids were.

    I realised too, that you dont smile as much when you're very focused on something, working your thoughts.Like during group discussions for the proposal, my group saw how you were frowning and pacing up and down.But in a normal conversation, you do smile alot!

    Perhaps smiling also depends on the situation you're in? Although it is indeed more pleasing to the eye, but if you can deliver your objective of the presentation without smiling, i dont think it is a major problem.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha yes Ruth! I think my brain is too small; can only maintain one function at a time. It's either I smile or I work. I can't work and smile at the same time :(
    I'm glad it's effective! The amount of animation that went into that slide would have shocked you.
    Adios. Study hard for your exams people. Carpe diem.

    ReplyDelete

Hero