Sunday, September 6, 2009

Application letter

Company

The Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE) is a member of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR). Launched in 1997, IMRE undertakes research in selected fields of materials science and engineering, including optoelectronics, nanomaterials, chemicals, and polymers.


Job title

Internship position in Synthesis and Integration Research Group

Specifications/Key Requirements

Since this is a speculative application letter, there are no specifications/key requirements listed. So I shall just list down what I think should be the key requirements for this job.
- Singapore citizen or PR
- able to work well in a team
- good communication skills
- adequate knowledge in specific field of expertise
- working knowledge of a range of analytical instruments

Application letter


Russell Lau
Jelebu Road
Blk 185, #18-24
Singapore 670185

September 4, 2009

Human Resources Department
Institute of Materials Research and Engineering
3, Research Link
Singapore 117602

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Application for internship position in Synthesis and Integration Research Group

I am extremely keen on a prospective career as a researcher in the Synthesis and Integration Research Group and would like to enquire whether there are any internship positions available in that department. I have enclosed a copy of my resume for your consideration.

I am currently in my year 2 of undergraduate studies pursuing a Bachelor of Science (Chemistry) degree in the National University of Singapore (NUS). I have a keen interest in the field of research regarding nanocomposite particles. In June 2009, I visited the various departments in the Institute of Materials Research and Engineering on a guided tour and was very impressed with the state-of-the-art facilities and machinery. I also talked to various researchers while I was there including Dr Chan Khai Leok who is a research engineer in the Synthesis and Integration Research Group. Since then, I have become very interested in joining this research institute. I am very intrigued by Dr Chan's research on conducting polymers and nanocomposite molecules for light emitting diodes and hope to be able to do my internship under his supervision.

The Institute of Materials Research and Engineering is one of the frontiers in nano-particle research and I believe I can contribute to the company due to my particular interest and knowledge in this field of research coupled with my analytical skills and youthful exuberance. I am proficient in the use of analytical instruments such as the UV-vis spectrometers, scanning tunneling microscopes, autoclaves and data loggers. I have been appointed by the Dean’s office to be a laboratory demonstrator for various science events due to my experience in handling a wide range of instruments as well as my expertise in performing chemical experiments.

During my stint as a sales executive, I was trained to handle difficult clients as well as to work together with my team members. This has honed my ability to work well in a team and sharpened my interacting skills since effective communication with clients is essential. I was also promoted to team leader and under my leadership, my sales team consistently hit sales targets. In NUS, I am also the Events Director of NUS Netball Club and I played an instrumental role in organizing Netballuxion 2009. All these have given me the opportunity to cultivate my leadership skills by putting me in a position of responsibility and trust. I believe that all these attributes will see me in good stead in this company as they are also just as essential in a research laboratory.

I will be delighted to contact you in 3 day’s time to arrange for an interview. Alternatively, you can also contact me at 81883063 or laurussell@hotmail.com.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Russell Lau

Encl: Resume

3 comments:

  1. Hi Russell,
    I think it’s great that you mentioned about attending a guided tour and talking to a named researcher. It helped to highlight your interest in the company.

    Maybe you can mention what you would like to learn/achieve by the end of the internship?

    Overall, I feel that your letter is excellent, with clear topics for each paragraph. :)

    Jiamin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Russell,

    your application letter is well-written.

    However, I feel that there is an error in the structure of this sentence: 'I also talked to various researchers while I was there including Dr Chan Khai Leok who is a research engineer in the Synthesis and Integration Research Group.'
    It will be better if you can rephrase it to 'While I was there, I also consulted various researchers and that included Dr Chan Khai Leok who is a research engineer in the Synthesis and Integration Research Group.'

    Also, you may want to emphasize on the instrumental role you played in Netballuxion 2009.

    Hope this helps!

    Regards,
    Kesleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all, thanks for the comments!
    -Jiamin: I'm not very sure, would it be necessary to include it? I know that for a job application letter, I'm suppose to emphasize more on what I can do for the company but I'm not too sure about an internship.

    ReplyDelete

Hero